Some of the Areas that will be Covered in your Singing Lessons?
You will learn how to feel, hear and understand your voice. Here are some of the main topics we will be covering:
- Anatomy and physiology – in order to understand singing it helps to understand how our bodies make sound to sing. This is covered in as much or as little detail as you want.
- Vocal Health – the most important of these is actually good vocal technique.
- Range extension – increase your vocal range up to 3 to 4 octaves.
- Pitch – no more singing out of tune
- Breath support – learn to support a sound and what that actually means!
- Resonance – you will learn to use resonance to change the sound of your voice.
- Onset – This is often overlooked by vocal coaches but is one of the secrets to great singing. The onset is the start of the sound. THink of it like this, when you sprint the start is essential. I bad start is the difference (especially at professional level) between winning and losing. So the onset sets them up correctly. It’s the same in singing a good onset sets you up in tune and with a great connecting.
- Vocal focus – how to get rid of that airy tone, if you want to that is.
- Belting – How to belt correctly with an open throat
- Articulation – how to sing the lyrics of your song. If you are trying to sing your words the way that you would speak them then at volume or higher pitch you will have a lot of tension problems.
- Vocal Warm-ups and downs – learn how to optimize your vocal warm-ups to get the best results in the least amount of time. After these warm-ups your voice will want to sing.
- Singing Songs – You will learn how to apply the skills you have learnt in the lessons to songs. The skills you’ll learn you will be able to apply to any songs you like.
Have you heard of singing jargon that just confuses you:
- Breathe from the diaphragm,
- Think down when you sing higher,
- Project your voice!
All these terms and much more will be explained in your singing lessons so that you not only know what they mean but you know how to do them and what they feel like. This will give you confidence in your voice.
What to Expect in Your First Singing Lesson with Dylan
First of all a smile!
We then talk about any areas that you would like fixed in your voice with singing lessons and goals for your voice. Don’t worry if you can’t think of any that’s the purpose of this first session, to work these out. Is there a song you would like to learn or would you like to just become a better all-round singer.
We then go through some scales. I sing them first then you copy or you can sing a song it’s up to you. The purpose of this is so that I can assess your voice to work out the areas that need work. You then tell my about your singing voice knowledge and any areas you are confused about.
Feeling Comfortable with Your Vocal Coach
An important part of the first lesson is that you feel comfortable with me because singing in front of someone can be a daunting experience! You need to feel that you could really open up and let go with your singing for the lessons to be of any real benefit. This starts with feeling comfortable with your coach, believing that you have the knowledge and experience to help you to reach your singing goals.
We then will find out what your vocal range is.
Finally we’ll go over your goals – what would like to be able to do with your voice. That’s it…easy!
If you would like to book singing lessons in Southampton Hampshire then please click on the link: Book a Singing lessons. I also do Skype singing lessons if this would be more convenient for you.
I look forward to hearing from you:)
Want to Know More about Singing Lessons with Dylan?
Hi, I’m Dylan, and I have been teaching people to sing like yourself in the Southampton area for 20 years now. In that time I have taken students from beginner all the way through to recording artist.
I have taught singing teachers, choir conductors, hobbyists, beginners, semi-professional and professional singers.
My singing lessons approach is to tailor the lessons to your needs. I do this by drawing on my extensive knowledge of singing. You will see what I mean when you take a lesson with me. I will identify the areas that we need to work on in the first lesson and start to improve them straight away.
If you would like to start that journey now then feel free to get in touch.
What are Singing Lessons?
Singing lessons are the process of learning to sing a song. To sing a song well, there are many areas that need covering such as Posture, Breath support, Onset, Resonance, Phonation and Articulation. It is the purpose of the singing lesson in Southampton to uncover any weak areas in the singers understanding or physical ability to sing a song and to correct them.
Singing lessons are 1on1 private lessons or group lessons where a student learns to sing – even online via Skype. I teach singing lessons in Southampton in my studio in a 1on1 setup, groups or via Skype.
Links on Singing Groups and School Singing Lessons
If you didn’t find quite what you were looking for here, then I am sorry about that. I have put a couple of links below that might be what you are looking for:
This is a link to Southampton Music Services (part of Southampton city council), through these guys you can find out about singing lessons at schools and colleges.
If you are interested in joining a musical theatre group, then you could check out: Southampton Music Society I have taught several of the board members and the chairman and can safely say that they are a friendly bunch of people.